I ran into a grandmother with two of her grandchildren the other day at a local sandwich shop. It was immediately obvious she was in way over her head. I’m guessing, her granddaughter was probably about 4 and grandson 2. They were adorable for sure. She was having difficulty getting them to stay at the table 2 feet away from where she was, while she grabbed their sandwiches and drinks. The granddaughter was trying to pull her turtle Ty-Beanie from her grandma’s pocketbook, and grandma’s wallet came crashing out. Loose change everywhere. The grandson was whining/crying “It’s coming off…It’s coming off…IT’S COMING OFF!” He was referring to his band-aid on his knee. Oh man, oh man, have I been where she is! I decided while the grandmother was trying to get their food situated I would talk to her granddaughter about her turtle. I found out the turtles name, where she came from, how many other turtles were at home. I also learned of the granddaughters favorite color, where her mommy was, and her brothers name. I kept her busy enough that grandma could get the food to the table and on their plates. Well Mr. Grandson was still not happy about his band-aid.
Me being a mom made me think…How can I help? Well every mom with a toddler probably has band-aides in their pocketbooks, and sure enough, I had a stash of Paw Patrol band-aids. I shared a couple with grandma. The look on her face was priceless! Absolute relief and gratitude. She smiles and nods to me, then says, it’s been quite some time since I’ve had to do this. I explained I do it every day and I’m still overwhelmed and my kids make me stress sweat all the time. We both laughed. This encounter is what made me want to write this post, that and the fact that because of my pocketbook my table at my sister’s wedding shower won the “pocketbook bingo”!
I have more crap in my purse, everything but the kitchen sink, as they say. I just randomly dumped my purse out on the floor and this is the result:
So there are the obvious things you would think to find; a wallet, pen, car keys, change, and chapstick. Well then there is the other stuff, most of which can’t really be explained!
- A rubber ducky — ?? Maybe in case we run into any puddles and my kids want to play with him in the puddle??
- A toy saw –?? I really have no explanation, maybe I could use it as a weapon to scare off potential bad guys??
- Crayons — Ahhha I know exactly why these are in here. So the next time we are in a restaurant, ready to be kicked out, I can whip these out and get 2.5 minutes of almost quiet time.
- Toothbrush, floss, and mouthwash– Well everyone has that right?
- The Tide pen– That is for when I spill my lunch down the front of my shirt or I have given my kids anything to eat in the car.
- Crackers & Cookies– Well if you have kids you know they get “Hangry” (means they get very angry when they are hungry) so you must be prepared for such event.
- A race car & Mickey book–?? Not to sure about this one either. I believe they are mostly used as flying projectiles.
- Advil & Tums– This is another easy one… It helps take the pain away of being “mom”! Prescription medication and booze is USUALLY left at home.
So what’s in your (or your significant others) purse? I would love for you to share/comment on the weirdest things you are carrying right now!